The exhibition Black and White in Spanish Geometry from 1950 to 1970 features a group of works from the workshops of various artists - Manuel Calvo, José Luis Gómez Perales, José María de Labra, Ángel Luque, Pablo Palazuelo, Eusebio Sempere, Jesús de la Sota - that pertain to the beginnings of their artistic practice and that focus on the experimentation of space and geometry.
This exhibition recovers the works of artists that have been fundamental in the formation of geometrical abstraction in Spain, who responded against the predominant informalism of the then Spanish art scene and developed a language that formally connected them with the European avant-gardes of the early 20th Century. The works by one of them, conceived through an abstract and structural thought process, even maintained some sort of curious kinship with the Brazilian neo-concrete movement.
The common denominator that articulates the works that form part of this exhibition, created between 1950 and 1970, is the use of black and white as the formative element of a quiet work, in which the preeminence of the structural composition is set above the colour and gesture.
Curated by José de la Mano